Thursday, February 25, 2016

Everyone Must Start Somewhere....

 I wanted to take some time this morning to talk a little about how I got started creating the jewelry that I do. First of all, I am self taught, now I don't know exactly what that pertains to when other artist peg this term but for me I had zero help figuring this world of art out. I was very creative as a child right from the start but making jewelry was not a strong suit of mine.  
 Upon dating my what was then boyfriend (now husband) he turned me on to the world of macrame and I really enjoyed sitting in the floor weaving beads into hemp. I felt it was so relaxing. That being said when it came time for my interests to flourish I decided to go to AC Moore and see what they had in the jewelry making section. Back then jewelry making was not a huge fad so the section only offered so much in the way of mediums. I paced up and down the isle, not really ready to invest in tools or expensive beads so I settled with some clearance acrylics and elastics. I also purchased some ear wires and since I had no clue what headpins were; I used elastic in its place. I literally strung the beads right to the ear wires!! I loved the tied off look but as all things elastic they had a lifespan.
 It has taken time to master my skills and after 10 years of design I am starting to get the hang of things. Don't ever let not knowing a skill hold you back. Mistakes are teaching us to be better, to hone in on what we are good at and finding ourselves in a most powerful way. I feel much more confidant in the art jewelry I create now. I wanted to share some of my earlier works so you may see where I started my steps and where I finally left off. Have a beautiful day <3 
-Nova Leigh
                      One of the first creations

This piece was created with a simple melding of plastic beads, lamp work glass, and an enameled key chain charm. I call it, "Super Pop Art Hero" it must have eight knots in the back to keep it secure! I had no clue what a crimp bead was! Learning has indeed been fun!


This is a piece I created last summer! See how much time can develop skills!? Don't give up. And if you ever feel discouraged use this mantra:

You can see my collection here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/NovaLeighs?ref=hdr_shop_menu

No comments:

Post a Comment