Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Windows of the Past

I am an artisan jewelry maker, it is something I caught the passion for a little over 10 years ago. All beads are interesting to me, I love to work with fine art beads that are handcrafted but I can also find beauty in acrylic beads with character. Something that caught my attention about 5 years ago was being introduced to Czech Glass beads, its a nice transition between learning and starting out and the next step up. Czech beads have a lot of character to them.
Last year I purchased several lots of bead soups (bead soups- random collections of varied beads that either are themed or literally so random that they can't be made sense of) luckily the ones I get are a little sorted (at least by colors and hues) so as to make the job a little easier. I have been holding on to these particular beads for quite some time. I wanted to do something super special with them, they are petite alone, but adding them with larger beads took away from what made them special to me.
You see these green beads reminded me of something magical from my childhood, I tend to want to work with things that rustle up my memories, I don't want to forget what special things happened to me.
My grandparents in the summer time would visit some of their special friends, Jackie and Gwen, they lived in what I found out later was an allegedly haunted house. This place was the stuff of childhood dreams. Americana at it finest, all vintage stuff, you know, old crank phones, glasses, tea carts rooms and rooms with the most glorious "old book" smell. I fell in love with this house. It was old, and beautiful. Their was one window that was different than all the other regular pane glass window in the house. It was this vivid green, mottled with spirals and when the light hit it, a calming aura was cast across the floor. These earrings remind me of my beloved childhood and the window I may never see again. I wish I understood time better as a child, I would have lavished my time taking in all the house instead of hurrying through everything. These earrings make me want to take more time with life, with each spring, all the flowers planted around the house so fragrant. I remember the cool of the grass, the bunnies in the grass hiding. I hope my children can find magic in their childhood like I once did in mine. Sorry for the rambling. Have a beautiful day <3



Windows of the Past
by Nova Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment